Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dollhouse Miniature Tutorial on Faux Painting Technique


Well, I don't consider myself a painter by any means, but, I think these came out pretty good. :)

They started out as those resin urns you sometimes see in the craft stores.

I didn't like the yellowish color that they were originally, so I thought I'd faux paint them to look like cement.



First I painted them white, as I didn't want the yellowish color to peek through.



Then, I mixed up some gray, using some black and white acrylic paint I had on hand.


I just pounced the paint on to them.



The pouncing created a nice texture that really makes them look like cement.


But, I wanted more detailing and age to them.
So, I thought I'd use a wash of black to highlight them.

I got a good bit of water.



And then, just a drop of black paint.



Using that tiny brush, I just went in and around all of the nooks and crannies.

Of course, when I explained what I was going to do, my nearest and dearest mini friends kept telling me they would look "charred" in the end. (they shall remain nameless) I don't think they look charred at all. :)

Now, they are ready to go off to GoldenUnicornMinis She is going to fill them with some mini greens for me, some spiky in the center, some trailing over the edges and and more mixed greens to fill in.

I can't wait to see how they will look then! :)

 I just got some real life urns that look just like these, how funny is that? ;)

Until, next time! :)

14 comments:

  1. These look great... I think the black wash gave it that etra oomph! May I ask what craft store you found these at?? Thanks! -ara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ara. :)

    I got them at A.C. Moore, unfortunately, it was years ago. :(

    Don't know where you could find them now. It's one of those things as a mini maker, I always keep my eyes open for all things small, so when I saw these, I just scooped them up, knowing I'd put them to good use someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful. Thank you for the tutorial! I have an ornate resin fireplace and I may try to turn it into 'marble'.

    Jody
    Mini Leaps and Bounds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies. :)

    I did this post, because even as a non-painter (me), you can see what's possible!

    Jody, I can't wait to see how that looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a wonderful job! These look exactly like cement urns to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a fabulous job! Stood up to scrutiny in close ups too. I also want to thank you for leaving a comment on my last post :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. NP, Sans. I'm still learning about navigating my way around blogs, sometimes, I don't leave my chair for hours. ;)

    Depending on your computer, I guess, the pictures are close to the actual size. They will look lovely flanking the door of my dollhouse some day... especially after it gets a door. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look really good!
    Thanks for the tutorial, I wish I had seen this last year, before I gave my daughter my yellow urn, which she immediately broke :(
    If I get my hands on another, I sure will give it a try and be very happy if it turns out just half as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pubdoll I have found sites where you can get resin mini urns and such and will be posting about it soon, I hope. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your visiting my blog
    I love your works.Im trying to be member your etsyshop too.But I couldnt.With my best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  11. esen, Thank you! If you need any help with etsy, you can email me directly and I'll try to help you out as best I can.

    dales_dreams@comcast.net

    Thanks, Mairi! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. :)