Sunday, June 7, 2009

My favorite tools for making Dollhouse Miniatures

Here they are, my favorite tools that I utilise in my mini making.

I love this green cutting mat, it's magic, cause you can slice right on it and it never wears! It's a great surface to work on. I use the clear straight edge with the rotary cutter to make precision cuts. In mini making this is a must, to have the most accurately cut and scaled finished products.

The tortishell like scissors harken back to my cross stitching days. They were also the cause of my first hand injury, after using them for days on end making miniatures. I damaged the nerve in my thumb and had a numb thumb for a long time, lol, try saying that three times fast. ;)

Now, their only job is snipping thread.

My pink tape measure, 'cause hot pink is one of my favorite colors, can you tell?

When my oldest was little she played with it so much, I ended up getting her, her own, so she wouldn't ruin mine.

Beeswax! I never sew without it. I sew with a yard of thread at a time and this keeps it from ever having a knot. Okay, not ever, but not so often. And, even if your thread does jumble up, I can usually get it untangled fairly easily.

My exotic scissors that I bought in Paris. (The black and white ones) I thought they were an exotic animal print, until my middle informed me that it was a cow pattern. A cow pattern! I'd have gotten a different pattern if I had known that. Oh, well.

My most favorite sewing tool is my pin cushion. I am never without this pin cushion, it is with me where ever I am sewing, even ventures away from home.

My sister in law used to be the General Consul for the Escada design firm and with that job, she traveled around the world. She brought me back a little something something from where ever she went. This came from England and holds a lot of sentimental value to me. :)

If you liked some of the items I made for my Fourth of July custom order, you can find them newly listed in my etsy shop. http://www.dalesdreams.etsy.com

2 comments:

  1. Hot pink being your favorite... You must have been the insperation for Addie's look! LOL!
    Love ya Dale!
    MSF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, MSF, so nice to see you here. :) Ooh, I couldn't be, you know she is an "individual" bahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. :)